View Single Post
      09-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

My Review of AP Racing BBK -- After Track Day

I installed the AP Racing BBK on my car a few weeks ago and took it out to the track last week. First, the good.

My initial impression was that these brakes are awesome! The power, consistency and modulation was impressive. They did not fade and were very linear. They are a substantial improvement over the stock brakes.

Now the bad.

Given that my initial experience with them was so good, I got a bit over zealous with late braking in my last session of the day. Near the end of the session I got black flagged due to sparks coming out of my driver's side front wheel. After some inspection, I completely cooked the front brakes and to a lesser extent the rears. I do not think this was due to a shortcoming in the brakes, but rather (1) me overdriving them; and (2) me using a hybrid pad instead of a race pad (the Mintex pads that come with the kit). Surprisingly enough, the brakes performed very well even while the pads were being melted and turned into dust.

The rotors are a bit scored but have survived to live another day. The pads were brand new at the beginning of the track day, but are down to about 2 mm of compound (the new ones are on order ).

I think I'll try these with some race pads next time and work a bit on my brake management skills.....

Here's a few pictures of the aftermath of the front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0