Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
According to the article you cannot use a foreign engine. See bottom of Page 2...
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour.../engswitch.pdf

Another situation recently brought to EPA's attention involves the offering for sale of used foreign-built engines. These engines are often not covered by a certified configuration for any vehicle sold in this country. In such a case, there is no way to install such an engine legally. EPA has recently brought enforcement actions against certain parties who have violated the tampering prohibition by performing illegal engine switches.

Page 2 at the bottom says something else about the model year...

It should be noted that....the EPA's policy allows engine switches as long as the resulting vehicle matches exactly to any certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the chassis...

So the older the chassis the more engine options you have...I personally like the style of the E92 meaning my engine choices are 2007+ only.

Article that explains the same thing a bit more...
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html
i apologize for not being more clear earlier: what you say is soooo true. you're technically not allowed to put older engines in newer cars. Hence why most of the honda crowd has opted to go for the newer K-series engines and putting them into old B-series bodies vs putting older b-series engines into newer style honda bodies. Plus the older motors don't have the torque to pull the heavier cars.

about the foreign engines... this is something the honda crowd ignores hahaha.we get all our engines from Japan. the euro-spec (in terms of BMWs) and JDM engines produce more power so of course we want to have them in our cars over here. the nature of being a car guy.

thanks for posting yousif. good info. needed a reminder
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0