02-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #9710
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
Question:

So cars over a certain age don't have to pass any emissions tests, right? Does that mean that a person can put an engine in the car that was never allowed in the USA and make it legal?
They don't have to pass emissions because of the year of the engine and associated emissions equipment at that time e.g. 1960s, not because of the car's chassis....
That's why Hotrodders like to work on older engine blocks and tune them up, its sort of a way around the rule..
So as soon as you put an engine built in 2007 into your older car, you need to have 2007 emissions equipment.

According to the article you cannot use a foreign engine. See bottom of Page 2...
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour.../engswitch.pdf

Another situation recently brought to EPA's attention involves the offering for sale of used foreign-built
engines. These engines are often not covered by a certified configuration for any vehicle sold in this
country. In such a case, there is no way to install such an engine legally. EPA has recently brought
enforcement actions against certain parties who have violated the tampering prohibition by performing
illegal engine switches.

Page 2 at the bottom says something else about the model year...

It should be noted that....the EPA's policy allows engine switches as long as the resulting vehicle matches exactly to any certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the chassis...

So the older the chassis the more engine options you have...I personally like the style of the E92 meaning my engine choices are 2007+ only. I can't go and put in a Supra's 2JZGTE into an E92 Chassis...that would be one sweet conversion though....

Article that explains the same thing a bit more...
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

Last edited by Bowser330; 02-01-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0