View Single Post
      10-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #21
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Does the type of camera give you HDR pictures or do you need to "make" them with the image you took in photoshop?

I need a good camera..

I litterally started doing this HDR thing last night, so take this with a grain of salt...

No, the camera does not give you the HDR pic. HDR software combines multiple pictures of the same scene at different exposures, using the best parts of each scene. However, a better camera can make it easier, it seems. I found that my Nikon RAW files (I'm sure Canon is the same) greatly simplified the process - I didn't have to enter any image data. The Photomatix read the exposure data from the images, and did it all automatically.

From what I've read, you want to have 2 or more images of the exact same scene that have different exposures. On the two I posted, I was bracketing my shots, shooting (Nikon D200) at metered exposure, -1/3 stop and -2/3 stop. The D200 tends toward overexposure, that's why I didn't do +/- 1/3 stop. So, that could mean that if the metered exposure was 1/200 sec @ f/4, I took the picture, then the camera would have automatically set the camera for 1/250 @ f/4, and then 1/320 @ f/4. I usually shoot in aperature or manual mode. I don't recall if I set my camera to always change shutter speed when I bracket or if it just came that way..

It helps that the camera shoots pretty quick in Continuous(High) mode - about 5 frames / sec. If I hold down the shutter release, it'll take 3 pics in less than 1 second and then stop until I release my finger from the shutter release.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0