08-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #52
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
Again true. I am no engeneer but i am sure its not that linear...everybody nows audi borrowed heaviely from lambo but i am sure it still toke some time to build the thing...yes they might have saved a year of research and a few million dollars along the ride but life isnt easy you know...if bmw really wants to be at the forefront of luxury premium cars - and call itself the sporty alternative among an increasing competition - 15 years ago audi woudnt even have been considered premium in the usa - it as to spend time and money!! And to be honest, i just dont think the current bmw board wants to carry on beeing "the ultimate driving machine"...but the most profitable and most efficient..fair game but the reason why I and many other customers bought my 7 over an s-class - better rated on motoring magazines btw- was not only because of my almost 3 decades of brand loyalty but also because i enjoyed driving it...
I don't understand why small builders like Pagani, McLaren, Bugatti (before VW came in) and Gumbert were able to design championship-level supercars with small resources, but automotive giant like BMW says it's impossible? Series production is different story, but we still speak about "hundreds" as an maximum annual production number of this M1-supercar. So, pretty high level of custom work could be used and no need for new factory..?

Think about Gumbert for example. The development of Apollo didn't take 10 years and how many persons are employed there? Couple of dozens. And the car is absolute performance pinnacle. Yes, expensive too, but who said BMW supercar should be cheap?

There should be some medium-level between R8 and Apollo where BMW M1 might be positioned what comes to production numbers and level of customisation. The project could bring in some money, but of course would not be relevant to whole BMW turnover. What comes to the brand, the value in marketing would be well worth starting the project!

:-)