08-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #47
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
OK, then why has the r8 sold so well? And let's say you didnt make that much money making the BMW supercar, you would definitively make money by making the brand more desirable and that way you will certainly sell more models such as the 3 and 5 series. The truth of the matter is that building the supercar can do no harm!!! Give us something for those of us who have glorified and bought BMW's all our lives to be proud of. Il never forget growing up wanting an M, I wanted one so bad and I couldnt have it, but now that I can, I bought it, there is no car in the BMW range that I really want to have, however I really want an F430 scuderia, so BMW should make a car to rival those and aquire that market share. BMW has one of the highest owner loyalties out there, but they are slowly losing it.
I understand the strategy of making "different" sportscar with ED and so on. Don't follow steps other brands have walked. Ok. But I can't imagine a person who buys an electric/hybrid sportscar if there are ordinary ones available. I want to feel and hear the car, not just drive it. I want to smell gas, hot brakes and power. Can electric car provide that? Absolutely not!

Is it really so expensive to develop mid-engine car for speed junkies? What I can buy now when I have M3 and it's the fastest on track BMW can offer? Nothing. Quite sad since I'd like to bring my money to BMW dealer who could sell me a mid-engine missile loaded with BMW's state-of-the-art technology. Audi & MB could serve me, but no BMW :-(

It was Aug 1986 when I read for the first time about BMW M3 thinking that some day I'll drive that car. By then I had a bicycle and not much more. 10 years later I got my driving licence, but it was 21st century when I was able to buy the first own car, VW. Then traded to BMW and now I have M3 and E60 (+ other brands like Mini...). So, rather than just staring at quarter results of the company, brand building have to be considered as a 10-20-30 year investment. And in that sector mid-engine BMW supercar is THE project to see come true.