View Single Post
      08-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
DrakeKemper
Sexiest Man Alive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

From DCT E92 to 6MT E90... COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!

So a year and a half ago I sold my 2009 E92 DCT, and I missed it ever since she was gone.

I went to a GT3, and then ran out of money, thought a BRZ would be a fun daily driver, it wasn't, my only logical choice was... the new F30 335i.

I test drove quite a few of them, and enjoyed it. Was about to pull the trigger when I realized that How I wanted the car was going to cost me $52k.

"$52K?!? For that amount of money I can build a supercharged M3"... Famous last words.

So I went on a hunt for the perfect M3. Had to be an E90 this time (just more practical), had to have black leather, and had to be a 6-Speed.

Why a 6MT after having a DCT? Let me tell you that the DCT is awesome, its fast, its fun, its reliable, it does everything that you ask it to, etc... but you DO lose a tad bit of that "Driver feel", and thats what I crave most out of a car.

So without ever testdriving it, I flew to Atlanta and bought the car from a fellow M3Post member. I then spent the next 3 days driving it 2,700 miles to Los Angeles (a stop in Dallas and Scottsdale).

That whole "1-2 notch" thing had me scared as I'd heard it on the forums for years. And indeed for 2 days it was annoying making that shift until you learn to get it right.

But seriously I am SOOOO HAPPY that I went with the 6MT now!!! This transmission is FANTASTIC, easy to drive in the city, easy to drive on a cruise or if you're really pushing it. Responsive, nice clutch, everything is exactly how it should be (Drifting was a little easier with the DCT though).

I always see threads on here about "has anyone gone from DCT/6MT to the other" and I figured that I'd just post my experience here.

BY THE WAY, also super glad that I went with the E90! It drives the exact same (it actually handles a little better on Mulholland surprisingly (same wheel size, tires and springs as the last one) And its just so much more practical around town (groceries in the back seat after you've filled the trunk? AWESOME). And the fact that taking 5 (not 4) people to dinner, without having to fold a seat forward at Valet? Much better.

If you're thinking about making the switch, from either side of the road, why not try it? I didn't think I'd like this one NEARLY as much as my old one and I was surely mistaken.

SUPERCHARGER/BREMBOS/SSK BEING INSTALLED TOMORROW BY AUTOTALENT!!!
Appreciate 0