View Single Post
      12-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #22
brave1heart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
A number of reputable race teams sell their used grand-Am Cup specific Continental/Hoosier Race Tires. They are allegedly only lightly used and have between 2 and 4 heat cycles (or 2 hours) in them.

Does anyone around here have actual track experience with these? I am entertaining the idea of getting a set as they are pretty cheap. There are however a few things that worry me:
1. How many extra heat cycles can I expect to put into them before they're shot?
2. Are all used tires about even in their wear state?
3. I understand this is a spec tire that is not equivalent to other Hoosier tires. What's the closest equivalent tire in terms of tread wear? Hoosier R6, BFG R1? Toyo R888? Other?

I currently get about 6-8 track days out of my current track tires (NT-01 or R888). I like the idea of buying used track tires to lower the cost. However, if I can only get 2 or 3 track days out of them, and then you factor in the cost on mounting 4 tires, I'm not sure this is such an economical and convenient approach.

Any thoughts?
N., Schnoerr runs them and won class AR at the AX with them. Great value! He was getting more than 2-3 days out of a set for sure, I'd have to ask him.