View Single Post
      04-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #27
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8dawg View Post
Turbos have turbo lag, turbos drop power before redline, turbos are less reliable and often more expensive than NA engines, and most importantly to me, turbos make the car's exhaust sound worse.
Given enough time, money, and resources, I'm sure the M division will find a way to make turbo technology work for what we want.

Reducing turbo lag has come a long way already. I think the engineers just need to focus on further smoothing out power delivery through the entire RPM range and of course working on building the engine to tolerate full boost at 8k+ RPM for long periods of time.

Also, Turbos don't naturally fall off at high RPM, the manufacturer puts in controls to make them fall off so they don't overboost the engine. Faster engine speeds spin the turbos faster forcing more air into the engine. More air requires more fuel which makes for a bigger explosion. Really big explosions wear down that engine faster and cause heat problems. Thus, a lot of manufacturers have controls put in place to stop increasing boost after a certain RPM which is why the turbo engine feels like it falls on its face after a certain RPM.

I do agree turbos cost more money and can have a lot more issues. I don't trust too many turbo cars to be a dedicated track car. I'd rather have a straight forward and solid NA engine to beat up all day and not worry at all about it.