View Single Post
      10-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #31
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Hmm...

The U.S. based members of this board really need to calm down. The mods and admins are fueling this feeding frenzy, about a possible street version of the M3 GT4 track car. (without explaining to the masses how this usually pans out)

Don't bet on seeing anything reported in these blog/rumor postings. BMW engineers are always testing some new emerging technology. That doesn't mean you'll ever see it on a production car. (even a special edition model)

The rumor mill needs to be tempered with a dose of reality...

If BMW does bring a new model to the United States, it will be very similar in scope to the E46 M3 Competition package that was offered in 2005.

You will never see a true GT version of this car on U.S. roadways. The price tag for such a limited-production vehicle would drive away a large number of prospective buyers.

BMW's pricing structure for the U.S. market is problematic for a number of reasons. The base pricing for a E9xM3 (coupe/sedan) is in the upper 50 grand range. You cannot buy an M3 anywhere else in the world for that price. (not even close)

Adding to the dilemma, is the fact that these newly spec'd vehicles will be very low production in nature. That means you can't make up the difference in volume sales. The track-only version of the M3 GT4 car cost $120,000 euros.

From what I have been told, a 'conservative' estimate on this new street version GT4 will be $100,000 euros. (easy)

For those of you who are not very good at calculating international currency exchange rates, that's $148,689.41 U.S. dollars.

Even if BMW decides to sell these cars in the U.S. market (which has not been decided yet), and even if the pricing is somewhat lower than the pricing of the Euro-spec version...the base price would still place this car well above the means of the average BMW enthusiast. (income wise)

Only a small number of very wealthy individuals would even have the resources to buy such a car. (~$100,000 USD)

With that in mind, I'd be surprised if the managers upstairs (or the BMW accountants) will allow a U.S.-spec version of this car to be built in the first place.

Remember, the car will still have to pass DOT safety regulations and EPA emissions testing. These two hurdles can sometimes discourage a manufacturer, from releasing a 'special edition' version of a particular automobile. (into the United States market)

I call that the three R's. (rules, regulations, and red tape)

This is especially true for European or Japanese based automakers.

Unfortunately, BMW falls into that category.

The best thing that my U.S.-based brethren can hope for...is a 'watered down' version of the final Euro-spec M3 GT4 street car. Expecting anything more than this, will only result in extreme disappointment.

Last edited by Lemans_Blue_M; 10-17-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0