07-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #35
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Well, since you have absolutely no idea how good of a driver I am, your opinion is worth as much to me as it cost you to give it. That said, I'm going on 20+ years of absolutely no involvement in any chargeable accidents (myself or anyone else), so I might know a thing or two about driving safely on the street.

That said, you missed my point entirely. I'm not doubting DSC isn't effective, in fact I've never driven with it all off since I've owned the car, and I've probably driven <5% in MDM. However, the main reason why stability control is lowering accident rates is that about 80-90% of the population in the US drives like crap, mostly due to our lax licensing laws, so for that population, every little bit helps. Furthermore, yes the 60/70s muscle cars did crash a lot because (all gross generalizations) a) they had no suspension b) they had no brakes c) lots of bad drivers back then too, some things never change. My real point was that if 5 minutes after turning DSC off you get yourself into (or close to) an accident on dry roads, perhaps it's time to consider a car with lower limits, and work your way up to an M3 once driving skill improves.
im sure you are a fantastic driver, your 20+ year record of safety is laudable. and your suggestion is duly noted. your opinion is also worth about as much as a bag of hair.

dsc exists to protect drivers of all skills. those that choose to turn it off do so at their risk. at the PCD, turning off dsc even on the tracks there is not only frowned upon, it's grounds for dismissal. even EXCELLENT drivers like you can get in trouble with it off. so get off your high horse andretti
Appreciate 0