07-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #35
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb View Post

If an M3 sounds, handles and drives like SteveD has suggested it will then it will be awesome. For me the looks are a vast improvement over the outgoing model - just more in line with today's look and the interior is light years ahead (the E46 reminded me of my old E34 535i) - and to me is just the right step forward.
Ok, time out guys. I need to put some of these comments in context. The new M3 is a great car. It hasn't gone soft. What a strange comment to make for a car that is 'more' hardcore than the E46 version it replaces. The RS4 feels soft compared to the M3, and if anything we were wondering if BMW had lost too much of the E46's refinement.

The engine is both louder and much more serious sounding than the S54 straight six. Handling is very balanced, now if that makes it 'refined' then so be it, but that's not how I would describe it. Do you really want an 'edgy' handling 420hp Coupe? No, I didn't think so.

The steering is fine and would probably be sharper with lower profile tyres, but the front is not soft. I am looking at the videos we took and under severe provocation there is no understeer and the car remains flat and very stable when held sideways. It's a fluid handling entertainer that can be finely adjusted in a corner and will be controllable by a wide range of driver talent - not just the racers amongst us.

There is also 'not' a need to drive it high up the rev range. Certainly when all the 'sport/sport plus' settings are engaged then it feels powerful at lower revs - we exited most of the tight hairpins on those spanish roads in no lower than 3rd gear. But despite being more torquey than the E46, it also pulls harder to the red line.

I am a CSL owner and I find the E92 M3 far, far better than the E46 M3 and more sporting as well (I owned 3 E46 M3s). BMW do not 'need' to make a CSL, but they will because they can.
Appreciate 0