Slightly modified...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
Just from reading speed-related topics on this forum I have seen several references to radar detectors. We've all heard about them but I've actually never seen one being used in the real world. I've been reading a bit about them and the various technologies. But the big question remains: does it actually work?

From what I understand the most recent devices detect if a laser beam is pointed at your car and warn you in consequence. I can't help but think that by the time a laser hits your detector it's basically too late? And that most of the time the laser will be pointed at the body of the car not the detector?

What is the process by which these things work? Let's say a cop car hides somewhere on the highway fully stopped. He points his radar beam at oncoming traffic. He sees that you are speeding, and takes off in order to pull you over. I don't see at which point the radar could have detected the beam while giving me enough time to slam on the brakes before the cop gets a reading?

Do they work? In a word: Yes. If it saves you once it pays for itself (ticket+insurance hike).

Mine has saved me 3 times in the last 2 years; I never leave home without it!