View Single Post
      01-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
AlpenWhite25
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: Alpen White BMW M3

Why are all M3s rated at 414 Bhp ,when they actually produce 320 Whp at the Dyno...?

After my last post...when i have discovered that my M3 is making 326 whp i started a little research and found out that the average car is actually producing...that much.I would expect a 414 bhp car to make around 350-370 at the wheel on order to justify BMWs claim.After that i had a talk with my service store wich happens to have a lot of Dyno knowhow in the country,and they told me that they have had the same thing with E46 M3...There was a huge gap between the Factory claims and the actuall power they have measured with different type of Dynos..That got me ending up with the following 2 scenarios..either..

1)BMW MCars cannot be measured correctly in Dynos(for a number of reason i am not awared of...)

2)The M3 actually is Underpowered and does not produce 414 bhp we all payed for...(Wich is something much more serious for me).

I guess one way to find out is to have a Car of Similar Power-Torque-Weight on a Drag Race so we can come down to some kind of conclusion...It might be old-fashioned but it is the method to show the truth...

I really wanted to share my thoughts with you guys...and since we can have a post for that matter now,i would really like to hear what you think of this...?
Appreciate 0