View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #75
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I do agree that the DCT is the way to go, especially for this engine. It will shift faster than a human on any engine and improve acceleration through the gears for that reason alone. But on a high revving low torque motor where you have to be in the right gear at the right rpm to go really fast, the DCT will get the gear and rpm for you faster and more accurately than you can.

It also helps that the DCT is a closer ratio transmission -- 7 gears versus 6 gears for the manual. Part of the reason its speeds in some gears are better is that it has better torque multiplication in some gears. This has been discussed here before --

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157633

and part of the reason is that it shifts so fast that the normal issue of costing time because it is running out of gear while the longer geared car is still pulling in the same gear becomes a non issue.

While I would like a 6MT with a 4.10, I would like a DCT with a shorter diff even more. Let's get some DCT simulations going. Dinan, which according to one contributer to this thread has absolutely no idea what it is doing, offers two shorter diff ratio options for the DCT.
Appreciate 0