View Single Post
      09-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
1. I dont have a picture but both my driver side left bolster and my passenger side right bolsters are starting to deteriorate. Drivers side more than my passenger side. It looks like someone got their nails and scratched the bolster along the edges.
2. 2011 E90. 1 year and 2 months old. 18k miles and it is a part time DD. I use my Range 75% of the time
3. I detail the whole car every 2 weeks. This includes full leather cleaner treatment.
4. huper optik 35% all around. 60% windshield. Limo sunroof.
5. Garaged.

FYI i have FR non extended.

The leather feels nice but is extremely delicate. This is my 5th bmw and none of my past rides have had this problem. All those cars were driven to 50k-120k miles minimum and were beat to death but still no issues with leather cracking or deteriorating.
What kind of cleaner and how do you clean it? Doing it that often can actually do more harm than good especially if you're using strong cleaners or rubbing/scrubbing it aggressively. The leather is delicate but that's to be expected with higher end leathers. I had a previous car with Nappa leather and it required similar care. I got too agressive with it as it got older and the wear along the bolsters described by many here started to show.