01-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #41
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Well you're obviously one of the extreme purists, and thankfully Nissan offered a button where you can turn of this feature. Food for thought: Every performance auto magazine editor has raved about this feature, using it almost exclusively, claiming they never thought they would ever bother. I can easily see the point of it.
I don't think of myself as an "extreme purist" - I have driven (and raced) all sorts of cars and transmissions. I simply do not get this or see the point from a driver's point of view. I stated why. I can see Nissan putting it in for the coolness factor, to prevent people from over-revving when downshifting, to protect the tranny/engine in those cases, etc. So it's more of an insurance thing it seems for Nissan + the cool factor. Editors love new things all the time.

My point is that a person who drives a manual, is so used to rev-matching, that this would just get in the way. It would confuse me to NOT hit the gas. I would end up fighting with it. Yes I can turn it OFF, I understand. I just don't get the attraction. Like one guy in the video said though, it's maybe good for learning to drive a manual, but I don't even see that. Because one would be learning the wrong way. So it seems the opposite. So why not just get a DCT or auto? What's next? A manual transmission that also pushes the clutch pedal in and out when it sense your hand on the gear lever? See what I mean? Weird...
Appreciate 0