View Single Post
      02-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
M3 with ESS VT3 or 335is with New Vishnu Single Turbo?

This is not the typical, "should I keep my 335 or get an M3" thread...because there is a bit more to it.

Some background info: my current daily driver, which is coming up on lease-end in about 6 months, is a 2010 e92 335i. Lightly modified with coils, LSD, 19" VMR VB3's, Michelin PSS, and 4 bolt-on engine mods making 425/485 wheel HP/TQ. Looks and sounds basically stock and I like that. I'm older and run a company that serves a conservative client-base and rolling around with an exotic or over-the-top car (i.e. GTR, 911T, etc) would be bad for image. A rather stock looking and sounding M3 or other 3-series would be fine. Has to be comfortable and quite at cruising speeds to talk on the phone and relax if needed.

Most of the time, I will just be commuting with the car; however I may see some occasional track time or like this upcoming weekend, shift-s3ctor's 1/2 mile airstrip shootout.

Some of you may be familiar with Vishnu Tuning as they make some products for the M3 (Procede tune and a naturally aspirated meth injection kit). They are almost complete with their N54 single turbo kit with 3 different HP options: 600, 750 and 900. The shop car is currently configured with the 750 HP turbo kit and without much testing and already put down 627 RWHP. I will be taking a spin in this car this weekend to gauge how it feels. Should be rather tame at cruising speeds and given the turbo is actually fairly small, will not suffer much turbo lag either which is a big plus for daily driving. I don't know the kit pricing and while people are guessing $6K, I am going to more realistically estimate $10K including install.

Given that my lease is coming due and I want a new car anyway, the 335is still comes with the N54 motor and I can get it with the DCT, so an option is to order one to spec for ~ $62K (including upgraded BMW performance brakes) and then upgrade the turbo for an all in price of around $72K. Insanely high for a "regular 3-series" I guess but at 750 HP with an LSD, DCT, coils, good tires, it would be a nice sleeper. Would be terrific as a daily driver and really fun (but likely harder to drive/control than the M3) at the occasional track event. I'm guessing the DCT may slip...but Vishnu is building the boost tables conservatively at lower RPMs and ramp up to max boost at redline, thereby being very forgiving on the drivetrain.

Now as an alternative, I could get an M3 and a ESS supercharger. While I like the way the 335is looks, I love the way the M3 looks. I don't like how loud the M3 is, but I can probably live with that. When I test drove one, I was a little disappointed at the lack of torque in the lower RPM range, but I'm sure I could learn to live with the powerband, particularly with an ESS bolted on. I've had M cars before and also like their overall feel. From a pricing standpoint, the M3 is going to set me back $75K for the way I want it, plus another $18K for and ESS VT3 plus install. This certainly would be the better overall track car, but perhaps a push or a bit slower than the N54 single turbo for 60-130's and runway/top speed events. I'm not a big fan of drag racing but maybe once a year is ok.

The pricing difference is not insignificant. The M3 would be pushing $100K all-in. Wow. But for a 700+ HP car that is perfectly balanced and understated, I could be happy with that decision as well.

So what would you guys do?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0