View Single Post
      05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #39
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
This is my dilemma right now. I'm looking for tires for my track wheels, that will see 4-5 track days, and 4-5 autocross events this year, and I'm trying to decide which tires to get before I go to COTA next month.
The wheels I bought have used AD08 on them, but I notice chunk marks out of both rear tires, and at an autocross tow weeks ago they had much less grip (granted rears were at wear bar) than my stock PS2s. I've used Direzza and RS3's for autocross in the past and likes both, but since I'll also be doing a few track days, in addition to autox, I'm not sure if I should get PSS, Direzza, Rivals, or RS3. With the chunking on the current AD08's I've pretty much rules them out.

Thoughts for a stock car doing 4 track days and 4-5 autox events in 2013 (and hoping to not replace tires to complete this number of events).
Sounds like you want a tire that will last till the wear bars. RS3's are awesome out of the box (especially for track events since they handle heat well) but tend to fall off a bit before they reach the wear bars.

For an auto-x focus, some of the new tires you should take a look at are the BFG Rival, Dunlop ZII (The ZI's were pretty consistent), and the Bridgestone RE11A's. PSS is more of a 9/10ths tire with better ride and wear with street focused driving with some track thrown in. 10/10ths driving requires something that is more focused (ie Extreme Performance category).

If you are not serious about your results and are willing to compromise for a better overall street experience, get PSS. If you want the best performance and limit dry handling characteristics, try the ones listed above.

Note, wear depends on the use case since the tires wear differently in different scenarios. The PSS will wear better on the street but the Extreme Performance tires tend to hold up better on the track (ie no chunking) due to the tread pattern design and compound.
Appreciate 0