View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #75
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
You dont apply a fixed driveline loss ratio to a car's WHP to calculate to crank HP. You would take the given stock WHP and apply whatever driveline loss factor needed to get back to the listed crank HP. Thats the first issue.

Second of all, there is a thread right now by EAS that shows a stock car dyno'ing over 350 whp on their dyno. So it has been done before, and there are other examples of it as well.

You cannot compare other cars to each other in terms of absolute numbers regardless of mods or not. It isnt a fair comparison.

For example, you state that the dinan mods should make 25 more whp than the stock car but that franks only made 20 more. It is entirely possible that franks car could have made 5-10 less whp than richards car if dyno'd stock, then the dinan claims would have been substantiated.

Trying to make the predictions like you have without the proper data is not accurate.

And again, the 09 car showed a gain of torque to 261 ft/lbs.

EDIT : Talking about overestimating gains........aftermarket intake companies have been advertising 10+ whp gains on most cars for years.....most of them make zero HP. A good example of this is the e46 m3.
First off, EAS does not state whether the results have been SAE corrected. Hence, we don't know how accurate their results were. I mentioned that the Dinan car should be making +30whp or more, not less. 20whp is significantly less than over 30whp. Unless Frank's car's baseline is around 325whp, the claimed gains are still not met. I've made my calculations with the driveline loss in mind. I made calculations with 15-20% driveline loss from crank to wheel, making the baseline numbers more conservative, and making the horsepower gains from the performance mods less conservative, hence "maximizing" the performance gains. However, even then, the power gains do not come close to the claimed results. Keep in mind that I made calculations for the Dinan car gains conservatively (it should really be around +32whp).

I will agree with you that making dumb calculations like this is very inaccurate. However, I am still not convinced that the manufacturers are being honest. This is an independent dyno test and I trust that this dyno is accurate (mainly because you guys have nothing to gain from it other than the information you have presented). And from observation, the dyno results provided by manufacturers differ significantly from what is shown here.
Appreciate 0