View Single Post
      02-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #67
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
first of all, all manufacturers overestimate their gains. learn that as a rule.

second of all, what franklin was saying is that not all m3s will dyno the same baseline numbers, even if they are stock. it is extremely likely that my car for example and richards, if both stock, would not dyno the same power. look at the huge variation in numbers from stock dynos that are posted on this site for proof. more proof is that both dinan cars had the same mods and didnt make the same power. if all m3s made the same power, such a variation would be impossible.

finally, it seems like you didnt read post 14 in this thread. compare the power under the curve between the modded cars and stock cars at all RPMs. this is what was done in post 14. you can clearly see the difference in power. it is possible that the 09 m3, with modifications to the tune, can make upwards of 360 SAE whp by making power all the way to redline. this is yet to be seen, and the car will be taken back to the dyno to see if we can make it happen.

not to mention that franks car makes 20+ SAE whp (which is not what most manufacturers use because SAE is more conservative and shows lower readings) more than the stock car at redline. this is not an insignficant gain.
I still think manufacturers (not limited to performance parts manufacturers) should be more truthful when advertising their products. According to almost every dyno chart that I've come across, no stock M3 has produced 350whp (around 410 crank) or more. Most of them produced around 330-335 whp (which is around 395 crank, please correct me if I'm wrong). This includes cars that are less than a year old. Then why is BMW claiming that it produces 414hp? I'm not complaining about the lack of power, but about the honesty of the manufacturers. Why false advertise? 395 crank hp is not a small number, just tell the truth.

To go back to the discussion, I do understand that they overestimate. But overestimating for more than 150% of the gain is a little concerning. The two Dinan cars here produced similar power. I've also looked at the charts on post 14. However, it still stands that none of the cars (disregarding the car having issues with the tuning) produced power that is even close to what it should produce. All the charts show a drop in torque figures while every single product is supposed to produce a gain in torque.

Edit: I meant to say that the modded cars produced less torque than the stock car. I cannot possibly know the torque figure of the modded cars when they were stock. Hence, I cannot know if they produced less or more.

Last edited by Nition; 02-16-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0