04-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #30
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Thanks guys! I have a 2011 E90 M3 that only has 8000 miles on it. I haven't had a service as of late except for the 1200 mile service. My driving is usually a combined city/hwy. Any suggestions considering the miles? I suppose the brake pads needn't be changed considering the low miles right?

This is my track day prep thus far:

SA2005 Helmet
Tires: Apex ARC8 18x10 squares wrapped with PSS
Brake Fluid: 2 Bottles of Motul RBF600.

Figured that should be it considering I'm a novice. Any other suggestions?
A little bit of an after thing, I'm guessing you've done all daily driving, and your oil is at 6,800 miles right now after that break-in service. I'd change the oil after your track day.

Unless it's a lease, in which case, you don't need to change oil until dealer's free one at 15,000 miles. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
Pop off the wheels and check your brake pad thickness. I would think yours would be good considering I have 2 track days and 14k miles on mine and plenty more to go. I think a minimum of 5mm and you should be good. But check to be sure!

Bring a positive attitude as well. I don't recommend timing yourself anytime soon. Just get a feel of the track and learn handling. Bring water & snacks too. A good tire pressure gauge is a good thing too. Check tire pressure before and after each session. Bring a bottle of oil too, never know if you get the +1 out of no where.
Great advice, especially with the tire pressures. Another M3 owner I met at the track recently destroyed his tires in 1 day. Turned out that he didn't check the pressures, and that even half an hour after his session and his car had been cooling down, his pressures were still at 42 PSI. Yikes!
Appreciate 0