View Single Post
      01-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattychalupa View Post
Well this is quite a random place to post this question, but I think there are a lot of members here who could chime in with some really good advice.

So as of now I'm a freshman majoring in business up at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I love it here, but I'm thinking of whether or not I should graduate a year early, due to my amount of AP credits I took in high school. An older sibling is advising me against it saying that the job market is still basically terrible right now, but I honestly don't know which path to choose. I've always been the kind of person who likes to get ahead and start things early, which is why I originally wanted to graduate sooner but I don't want to do so if there's no actual benefit in the end.

If I try to graduate early I will admit I'll have a full schedule (4-5 classes/quarter) but the fact I'd be saving so much money is a big deciding factor. Yet, if I do stay the whole time I would potentially minor in either photography (just because I love it) or Industrial Technology (because it would actually be useful). So what would you guys recommend?

Pros:
-more time to build relationships, get internships, network, and make connections
-I can take less classes (3) per quarter and potentially get better grades
-More free time for extracurriculars and part time jobs.
-Have time to do a minor (although this bumps my schedule to 4 classes/quarter)

Cons:
-another year of expenses/tuition/etc, ~$22,000 almost (this is a big factor for me)
-missing out on a head start on job hunting

P.S. Any thoughts on joining a co-ed business fraternity vs a regular social one?
You never know where you are going to find your 'big opportunity' so I would say stay in school. I didn't bother having enough fun in college, I kinda regret it (a little). Once your college years are over they are gone forever. Plus the economy is shit right now, I don't think you are going to miss an opportunity if you don't get out now (this wasn't always the case).

Whatever you decide, just make your decision and roll on. You can't think about what could have been. Good luck.
Appreciate 0