03-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #252
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I cannot agree with this. SMG or MT you have to lift the throttle to shift. That alone can put some cars rright off the track. Don't try this in a tail happy MR car.
If you think a Mid engined rwd is twitchy then try a 996 or 997 (though the 997 is better), either of these two will swap ends in a heart beat. I believe your comments are directed at the Elise/Exige, I don't have any real track experience of either. I have experience in both the F360 and F430 and found the latter a much better mannered car in every way, it electronics are truly amazing and I would defy anyone to better the lap time by turning everything off.

But again it's a car which I wouldn't want to shift during a corner, that's the difference between SMG and DSG, dual clutch is really that good, when you watch the FifthGear comparison test of DSG vs Manual you will see that poor old Vicki wasn't tuned into the DSG car in the same way she would with the manual but it was still quicker. And that's with a car which automatically shifts up at the limit regardless if you want or not, DCT will improve on this because of the fact it gives you the option, but only if the shift is smooth when cornering.

Appreciate 0