View Single Post
      03-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #248
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
As I noted, I was being a bit harsh calling people idiots for shifting in a corner, as I will do it too in low g corners.
Unless you're feeling your way around an unfamiliar track for a couple of laps, there is no such thing as a low g corner. You obviously meant to say something else here.

Quote:
If my car is at the limit in the middle of a corner, I will keep steady throttle until I have some margin for the car to unsettle during any shift, manual or otherwise. The corners I listed where I won't shift, I absolutely do not want to upset the car's balance. The one corner where there is a high G load, and where I will shift is a slower corner and there is more room for correction.
Y'know, I've read some of your stuff in this string, and it has made absolutely no sense to me, including the above paragraph. Then, I chanced to look at your vehicle description, and suddenly it's clear. Your track experience is in an SMG car, and as footie has pointed out, SMG is stupid enough so that it doesn't care about lateral g loading, and does full-boogie shifts if that's what the driver has selected.

Is that true? If so, that's just one more reason why SMG was and is a completely bad idea by BMW.

Quote:
Having a high torque car multiples the effects of loading and unloading the rear end for shifts.
I disagree completely. You're giving me the SMG answer. Humans (and computer-controlled automatic transmissions with decent software) can manage gentle shifts in corners so as to stay shiny side up with no weeds tucked up under the tire beads.

Bruce
Appreciate 0