01-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #517
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Where are the pics of the plugs? I missed them...
You have to follow the link in the original thread started a year ago........

http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=34449.45

It appears that the thread has been blocked and registration is currently disabled. Coincidence, I think not!

Anyhow three out of the four plugs shown were white just like the exhaust valves in the cylinder head that is pictured. The black plug and corresponding black coloured exhaust valves are most likely from the cylinder with the failure and is a result of oil residue!

EDIT: Found the photos of the plugs in post #20

Also of note, although it has already been posted, here is a quote from the other thread:

Quote:
So i have done alot of work to our E92 M3 shop car, and i got a call tonight that it "exploded" while driving down the highway....

Its an 08 M3 with the following mods
full exhaust
lowering springs
active autowerke supercharger kit
rogue short shifter
exhaust cut outs

it only has 25k miles on it
pretty run of the mill stuff, so today i installed high flow cats in place of the straight pipe cat deletes we had, and not even 30 minutes later i got a call saying that there was stuff everywhere and it exploded... *i drive down to check it out and there are pieces of oil pan and what i assume rod all over the high way, as well as all the oil out of the car. *My boss was driving the car, and said after he merged onto the highway he shifted into 3rd gear at about 5k RPM and it just went boom.

now as far as blowing up in this fashion, i do not believe it was mechanical over rev (mis shift) due to the lower end damage. *The oil has been changed religiously with lubro moly oil and OEM filters (actually more often than called for). *The car has had a few quirks, when it was stock it dynoed 20whp less than our old M3, was a dealership demo car, which i feel is part of the issue.

anyway back to the original topic, as far as throwing rods, i was under the impression that this usually only happens due to oil starvation or worn bearings... at 25k it shouldnt be either.. yes it is supercharged running methanol but this would not affect the bottom end correct?

basically i want to know what the hell went wrong, and does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do from here?

thanks ZT sorry i rambled a bit...
Since the car was a "shop car" and a "demo", God only knows what type of abuse that poor engine has seen in its short life. We all know how much respect that shop cars and demos are driven with!!!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 01-24-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0