12-02-2007, 05:39 AM   #162
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Which car with a DSG box have you owned? If it is the M5 you are referring to that absolutely is not DSG. SMG, DSG and DCT are all AMTs but SMG is absolutely not a dual clutch system as DSG and DCT are.
swamp2, I know the difference between DSG and SMG give me a break. The DSG I own is a Mk5 GTi (funny enough) though I have also owned an Mk5 GTi manual (both the wife's cars). When I was referring to the M5/6 (SMG) I was stating a fact that the gearbox was setup for maximum speed not acceleration though in fairness it copes bloody well with this as well.

Quote:
WRONG. The data point I refer to is the GTI mpg for the DSG. It offers a 9% better city mpg than the MT. I'd bet the Audi with the DSG box offers similar benefit. The reason for this is quite simple and it is something SMGs do not offer: almost uninterrupted delivery of power to the ground. No letting off the gas, clutching, shifting, getting back on the gas, ALL WHILE DECLERATING from air and rolling resistance, not only wasting fuel in the process but slowing down which then requires wasting more fuel to get back up the speed you were going just when you started the shift. It is really quite wasteful. You can see it clearly on simulation charts of speed vs. time and it looks exactly the same with real world data
I am not arguing with your data, I am just saying that the facts are there is no improvement in economy between the DSG and Manual. Maybe this will not be the case with the M-DCT as it has more gears, remember the DSG from VAG is 6 gears not 7.

Quote:
Yeah, you're right no one buys an M3 because it if fast, no one cares about the acceleration. "What I personally want"??? WTF do you want - a slow sports car ? Give me a break.
Sorry but I am a bit lost as to these above comments, as you are well aware Green issues are in the headline all the time now and I doubt even BMW won't be trying to improve the M3's economy further with the intro of this M-DCT gearbox. What happens if it's not got 7gears but 8, will you still believe that the 8 gears are setup for the sole purpose of acceleration. GIVE ME THE BREAK. PLEASE!!!!!

Quote:
Since the time I started posting simulations (or commenting on performance numbers for that matter), I have always said that when things are within a couple tenths or so that it will always be a drivers race. As it will with these cars as well (like I have said repeatedly...).

As for your example, I'd say, "damn I know my car is faster and I can beat that fellow but he out drove me" (or "he has a heavily modded sleeper", that will always give you wiggle room as well...).
I reckon driver's abilities play a much bigger role in acceleration times than almost anything. I have personally beat an old M5 with my S5 and I know that the odd of winning were well and truly stacked against me on that one.

All I am saying about simulators are they are a good estimate of a car's capabilities, nothing more.
Appreciate 0