United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I dunno. It seems to work fine for me...I did BMW's Performance School's "rat race" and was able to stay in the car for 20+ challenges. Only a full bladder took me out of the car.

When you're in a "tail spin" or an oversteer situation, getting completely off the gas actually shifts weight to the front and removes more grip from the rear thus making it unnecessarily hard to counter up front. And notice I didn't say "gun it to the floor," I said keep a constant and steady throttle...And in some situations adding a little more throttle may actually help, especially in a rear wheel driven car.

I actually don't think Skip Barbar's instruction is the BEST way to recover, especially if you completely jump off the throttle. I think the best way to recover or continue the "drift" is to not go completely opposite lock, since doing so you completely remove one of the available tools to recover. The best way to continue the "drift" or recover is to use a combination of hands countering on the steering wheel, AND modulating the throttle in response to the amount of recovery to keep velocity through the turn. When you do go full opposite lock AND get off the throttle is the last resort, IMO.

Actually, the BEST way to recover is to anticipate the spin and initiate slight countersteering just before the rear end steps out.
I'm not arguing with you. But I think the best way for a beginner to learn is to learn how to recover first, not stay in a drift. Based on the videos posted above, the OP should learn to recover from oversteer before learning to stay in a drift. Here's an example of me getting pretty sideways (not on purpose) at infineon:

If I stayed on the gas, I probably would have never recovered. Once the cars back in control you can get back on the gas. However if you are always in control, you can stick to what you mentioned.

Either way, wet skidpads are an awesome way to get better at car control. Once you get it down in the wet, dry tarmac is cake.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0