08-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #3202
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Ah that explains it. Sure is a lot of time and effort to attempt to bash one of the communities best supporters.
Agreed. I know there are some technical people who have lively debates with Green Eggs, but I've found his views to be informative and I can't recall him getting personal or heated, which is pretty good. I mean, there are a lot of differing views on the rod bearings. My own indy mechanic, a BMW Master Technician, who did mine was still unconvinced after seeing the wear on my bearings (stating the wear happened in the first 1000km and it probably hasn't worn that much since then); but he acknowledged paying for peace of mind.

A colleague of mine who's ex-army who used to command and service tanks saw the bearings and thought it was good to replace, but added the caveat that any time you work on an engine you introduce the possibility of other failure -- particularly with stuff like rod bearings.

However, I'm happy to have done it. The engine may still detonate later -- I hope not -- but I've done the best with my limited knowledge to prevent it.
Appreciate 1