06-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #54
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Few clarifications, since some folks seem to take things literally here .
I said smart expensive car owners never do launches because that's the truth. That doesn't mean nobody does launches.
And on the subject of launches, a launch by itself is not going to break anything, but axle hop certainly can. And you never know if it's going to happen. A catch 22.
And just because car has launch control doesn't mean warranty will cover any abuse derived from the feature; simple common sense. Just like the car is track ready, but track use (which is abuse) is generally not covered by any warranty. Or your regular insurance, for that matter. It's like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible if you kill somebody because that's what guns are made for.

Just like I said, anybody abusing his/her car should assume it won't be covered by any warranty. If they can get away with that, great. But don't assume it will, and be financially ready for the fallout. And that also goes with modifications, especially tunes, since they're irreversible. Again, if you want a car to beat on, an M3 is not a smart choice .
Two quick clarifications/counter points I'd like to throw in:

1.) If warranty can be voided for using launch control, it should specifically state that. Comparing LC to shooting someone with a gun is silly and absurd. It is not abuse unless the manufacturer STATES explicitly that it is abuse. Our manufacturer even goes to the length of explaining how to specifically use launch control. And no, I don't use launch control - I don't see the point. However, if someone has ABUSED launch control (eg. uses LC several times per day), then that could constitute vehicle abuse.

2.) Tracking your car ALONE does NOT void your warranty. Read the manual. Your warranty is voided if you enter any competitive or timed events or if the vehicle has been abused. BMW specifically bills this car as a track-worthy vehicle. Voiding warranty simply for stepping foot (or tire) on a race track is ridiculous, unless there has been blatant abuse (damaged suspension, over-revved the engine, toasted brake rotors, etc).
Appreciate 0