Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
I’m trying to make some sense of your comments on the Black Series. First off, there has only been 3 Black Series versions ever. CLK63 BS SL65 BS and the SLK55 BS which was never offered in the NA market. I doubt you are aware there isn’t a Black Series edition for each AMG model because your post wouldn’t lead anyone to think you do. With that being said, any knowledgeable non-bias car enthusiast can tell you how drastically different the 3 Black Series models are from there “base” AMG model. You clearly state in your post that Black Series models differentiate themselves by only increase in HP/TQ and basic suspension parts (springs, shocks). You’re missing a sizeable percentage of the complete package that makes up Black Series models which again supports my argument you are uniformed on the topic. Also, the only Black Series with a MSRP in the exotic range is the SL65 Black Series at $300K. Now I can see if you rather purchase a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin rather then a SL65 Black series at that price fine. But the CLK63 Black Series at $138K isn’t in the exotic price range unless your talking several years old used market. With that being said can anyone on these boards tell me how many times they seen a Black Series on the road? I seen more Ferraris, Lambos, and Astons as compared to the one CLK 63 Black Series I ever saw again not including at the dealerships. Coupled with the extremely low production numbers this supports how rare these cars truly are which in many true enthusiasts eyes is a factor in owning one.

Listen anyone can debate whether the MSRP doesn’t justify the performance of these cars. I agree in some ways the price doesn’t equal the performance of some of these cars. Yes it’s possible to outperform Black Series models with the help of Renntech, Kleemann, and VRP. However there is no mod that can compensate for exclusivity which the Black Series will always have.
I did say in the following post that I know there is a hell of a lot more to it than suspension mods. I did actually mention the heavy duty diff but wasn't going to add the whole list of changes. I was just saying that I didn't feel the mods justified the price. Plain and simple and I still stand by that. Just my opinion.

Rarity is no good reason to buy a car either (again IMHO). In fact that shouldn't even come into it if you are judging the car on abilities. That's just posing. If a car is dynamically excellent then what does it matter how many there are unless you just want to be able to say you have something no one else has?

I'm well aware of the models available as black in Europe but not here so I didn't want to list them in case I got shot down for saying an extra one.
I'm also working on price from the UK and not the US where, for example, the CLK Black is only fractionally under double the price of the std AMG version at ukp100,000 which is in GT3 territory and not a long way off F430/Gallardo when it came out (they have since gone up a bit).

Personally (just me) I would take any of the 3 of them even slightly used over any of the Black models. My point AGAIN is that cars are a personal thing and everyone likes their own choice. At no point have I knocked the abilities of mercs or anyone on here for choosing to buy one. I simply stated my opinion on the looks and later on what I see as manufacturer overcharging.

In the past I've knocked BMW for overcharging for the M3 in Ireland (equiv us$170,000). The fact that it's soooo much cheaper here meant that was moot and I bought one as at this price I see it as good value. The CLK AMG/IS-F are also good value here (same as M3 in Ireland) but I think the Black is not good value. If you or someone else thinks it is then great. Buy it and enjoy it. I think your GT3 on order is far better value.

I would also like to think that judging by your choice of cars that rarity was last on your list when you bought the black. You certainly don't sound like the posing, Hollywood type that buys to show off.
Appreciate 0