10-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #38
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I did the opposite I went from a lightly modded E82 135i to a decently modded E46 M3. Stock for stock I regret buying the 135i and should have bought the E46 M3 in the first place but now I that I have my E46 M3 almost complete I really can't see myself wanting another car for quite sometime. Helps that the E46 M3 has been a dream car of mine for sometime. To make things clear I bought the 135i brand new from factory (dealer ordered) and the E46 M3 was mainly stock other than some less than ideal tires on stock wheels, legal tint, and G Power pedals. I have autocrossed both cars several times and prefer the M3 for both daily driving and track time. In the 135i's defense it was slightly better on gas, but it had a smaller fuel tank. The E46 M3 always surprised me with its range on many occasions.

Mods on my former 2009 BMW 135i: BMW Performance exhaust, BMW Performance carbon fiber diffuser, BMW Performance carbon fiber spoiler, BMW Performance electronic steering wheel (first version), BMW Performance selector lever and boot (Steptronic), BMW Performance rotors (front and rear), BMW Performance Power Kit, BMW gloss black kidney grills, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (225/255), Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with Synapse Engineering BOV, Sprint Booster, Vishnu Procede V4, and occasional helpings of 100 octane pump gas when I could afford it.

Things that broke with my 135i under warranty: 3rd brake light lense cracked and fell off multiple times, passenger side fender mounted turn indicator cracked and fell off held on only by wire, replacement of high pressure fuel pump, replacement of 3 faulty fuel injectors, and crappy iPod Y-connector wire. Car was owned for 2.5 years and had about 38XXX miles.

Mods on my current 2004 BMW M3: Turner Motorsport black out hood and fender grills, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (245/275), Turner Motorsport 3.91 geared diff, VAC Motorsports floor/side mounts, Cobra Imola GT seat, Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness, Dr. VANOS cryo-treated exhaust hub and rebuilt VANOS unit, Fabspeed headers and catted section 1, Supersprint resonated X-pipe and Race exhaust, AP Racing BBK, AST 5100 coilovers with Swift springs, Vorshlag camber plates, Vorshlag 75mm stud conversion, Hotchkis swaybars, BMW Motorsports 55*C thermostat, Bimmerworld Radiator and Oil Cooler, AN10 fittings for oil cooler, Optima Red Top, VAC Motorsports Optima battery harness/mount, HPF fan clutch, and VF Engineering VF420 "Streetsport" supercharger kit.

Things that broke on my E46 M3: auto-dim mirror, stock 3.62 geared differential (bearing issue related to day at drag strip), 3 ignition coils, alternator, dead OEM battery, and most recently SMG pump.

Last edited by Novator; 10-06-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0