09-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion about what MDM is, and maybe you know this, but it was unclear from your post. It is simply a circuit that allows you to store the preferred throttle mapping (power button), shock damping (EDC) and stability/traction control (DSC) settings all with the press of one button. What MDM does changes depending upon how you program it in iDrive. MDM "on" can be any variation of the settings for the Power, EDC, and DSC systems.

As for the EDC setting, I can see where the middle setting would be optimum for VIR based upon what I know, but I've never had my M3 (it's an E93) on that, or any, track. It's entirely likely that the middle setting is the best compromise between soft and hard, so that you can get the best out of the suspension without unsettling it with too hard a setting. It also depends upon your driving style and/or skill level.

Uh, you seem to be confused about what MDM is. MDM is M Dynamic Mode...totally separate from the M Button. The M Button (what you described) is a macro which stores preferences for throttle response, EDC, DSC, and servotronic. For cars with technology package, they are also outfitted with MDM- a specialized traction control system that is essentially a less restricted version of DSC, allowing the driver to push the limits of the car without immediate and overwhelming inverention. If you have MDM, you can set it as your stability control system in the preference pane for your M button. Read your manual.

At the OP, I've never tracked at VIR, so I don't have much advice to offer there. I've heard its rather bumpy though. I know others on the forum have a lot of experience there...hopefully they can chime in.