12-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #190
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by av2 View Post
Lol, I think you checkmate yourself.

You're taking too much pride in the ZO6 and failed to see its problems. The cost of ownership between a ZO6 is similar to an M3, new or used. Anyone (with decent mechanical skills) can make a car go fast by putting a high HP engine in a plastic chassis which is common sense. The problem is poor execution. The body gaps, cheap interior materials, body trims, low tech engineering, road noise, flimsy panels just make the car aweful to live with. Yes, the Vette is quicker at the track (if the driver can keep it on pavement) but the M3 is overall the better car. I thought that's why ZO6 owners are lurking around here so much.
You are perfectly entitled to your overall opinion about Corvettes, but you are not entitled to make up your own facts.

First, the chassis is steel and aluminum. Second, the body gaps are necessary because of the material used, which expands and contracts more with temperature than steel and/or aluminum. Cheap interior materials? Got me there , but if that's really important to you, why aren't you in an Audi? Body trims? Nothing stands out there, as far as I can see.

Flimsy panels? Not so's you'd notice, except for the tail cap. On the other hand, being able to push in on that item has no ramifications, and it's that way because of the Corvette guys' slavish attention to saving weight. The current Grand Sport weighs almost exactly the same as my last 'Vette (a '93 six-speed coupe), while having bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, more cooling, more safety equipment, and on and on. As you probaly know the Z06 is somewhat lighter, going out the door at a bit over 3200 pounds - with the larger ZR-1 tires and brakes.

Low tech engineering? Look, if high-tech is important to you for its own sake, that's OK with me, but don't have the temerity to assume that's how everyone else feels. For me, a 458 pound engine that is slightly more compact than the current 445 pound M3 V8 and has way the hell more power and torque, is a good thing. The current M3 would be way faster than it now is with the Z06 motor under the hood.

In addition, those transverse leaf springs under the Vette are genuine high-tech items. They're very light and compact, and absolutely get the job done.

Road noise? You're kidding, right? This is an out and out world-class performer, and you're suggesting that it should be limousine quiet? Give me a break. It's an extremely high performance sports car, ferchrissake.

As for track use, current Vettes come into their own in that venue. The somewhat lifeless steering on the street suddenly starts loading up nicely on track, and they are very confidence inspiring when really hauling the mail.

Look, if you have the opportunity (and of course the inclination), go wander under a Z06 (or Grand Sport, or ZR-1) on a lift, and if you actually know stuff, you will come away thinking that these Corvette guys are really serious about performance.

I will say those crappy Goodyears were a travesty. The move to Michelins by Chevrolet is long overdue.

Bruce

PS - As to which is the better car depends on yoiur priorities. From my point of view, the current M3 is maybe the best overall compromise ever made when you consider speed, handling, luxury, etc., all in a single package.

But the more narrowly focussed Z06 will leave it for dead in any sort of a performance test, with the same driver in each car.
Appreciate 0