View Single Post
      09-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #110
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Such a silly comment, all you have to do is run a different set of tires and increase a little bit of camber and the understeer would be cured. Do you really understand how to go fast though?...
Straight answer to a straight question - no.

But I used to.

I spent 14 seasons as a track junky at HPDEs, first as a student, then as an instructor. Quit at the end of the '09 season, which means that I am now covered in rust, as I never advertently* go over about eight tenths on the street.

As you may (or may not) know, track events are stupendously different from "high performance" street driving, especially after you've gotten a few track days under your helmet.

As to your assertion that the understeer would be cured via track sneakers and a little bit of extra camber, track buddies that I still keep in touch with tell me that understeer actually increases with sticky rubber mounted on these cars. In addition, extra camber would tend to reduce that tendency to some degree, but that ain't how they ship 'em, because of the tire wear issues.

Check the Car & Driver "Best Handling Car in America for under $100,000" article, where the 2011 M3 placed mid-pack. The fact that the Bimmer was in that group of cars is a testament to how good it actually is, but even C & D (who have claimed that the current M3 is the best overall car in the world) said it persistently understeered on track. They said that even a sharp stab at the brakes in a corner couldn't cure that problem.

Do some research.

Bruce

*Yeah I know this is not a word, but "inadvertently" is, so this should be as well.
Appreciate 0