09-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #106
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Ran at VIR with a Boss on slicks. He had adjusted the suspension at a professional shop, I'm assuming the Boss comes with adjustable coil overs stock.

So he had a little more power, a bit more grip and probably lower CG on stiffer suspension. Aside from the difference in lines (his was better no doubt) I could tell my car would lose ground with every corner. I just could not keep up, stock M3 with stock suspension on 265/285 tires. And I was outbraking him...

Maybe if you do a suspension on the M3, plus bolt-on mods and slicks you will run similar times. But don't kid yourselves guys, 9/10 you pass the driver not the car. I passed a gaggle of faster cars, Vettes and Porsches and whatnot, but in each case I was simply driving better than them, or having more confidence which is huge for an amateur on a track.

And I have to say, it didn't bother me in the slightest. I had an incredible time, didn't break anything and went home in the same gorgeous car I'd come in.

(All else being equal, he would have still been faster than me, he had no fear and was jumping the big curbs in the climbing esses, which is asking for trouble IMO and I would simply not do in my DD.)
I always thought it should be faster than M3, but after two events with local Mustang dealer and multiple events with mostly US domestic cars, I have yet to see a Boss that would pass me in normal conditions (almost stock M3 with DCT). I'll try to post up a video of me following an expert-student level driver (according to his instructor) in a Boss on R-comps (AD08 for me - so inferior tire). I could gain on him mostly on turn exists - seemed like he was struggling to put the power down while still cornering - and a bit on entrances because of his earlier and more gradual brake application (probably to minimize weight transfer or just not trusting brakes). Also, on the long straight I would shoot out on the turn faster, he would then gain speed a bit quicker, but not enough to pull away significantly.
Appreciate 0