05-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #19
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Questions for past GTR owners:

I read on the GTR forums etc. that the transmissions on the GTR were a huge problem and many were having problems and needing to be replaced on quite a few of these. Any validity to that?

As far as maintenance etc. versus the M3 ....can you give us some comparisons? Like a comparison between oil change costs etc. ?? I have ready horror stories of 1k to 3k a year or something crazy like that???......
I think the transmission problems were on the early 2008 cars. They had a very aggressive launch control. Owners were abusing it by doing several LC over and over without letting the car cool down. The gearbox broke, usually it was 1st gear that got munched. Nissan read the balck box data and refused warranty. They had to pay $20k out of pocket for a new transmission. Later models had the LC heavily tweaked over and never had this problem again. That's all I heard of GTR transmission problems really.

I can't possibly imagine an oil change being that expensive. I think they use off the shelf Mobi 1 oil which you can get at Wal Mart. And it's a Nissan dealership, so labor rates shouldn't be that bad. I'm pretty sure the gearbox, diff, and steering use special oils that aren't cheap, but our cars also require German made synthetic oils too. I'd like to know the maintenance costs of a GTR too, but I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be.
Appreciate 0