View Single Post
      12-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #93
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I applaud Regular Guy for trying to collect this sort of information, and am pleased he understands the error / uncertainty in this type of effort.

My own (hopefully objective) conclusions based on the data presented:
1. Some quantity of S65's have experienced catastrophic failures. It is not accurate, at this time, to quantify the percentage of affected vehicles but it seems to be exceptionally low.
2. I did not quite get how the totals were determined, but these failures do not seem to occur more consistently in one model year versus another (number of data points is too low to draw any substantive conclusions as to a pattern).
3. The failure effects differ - some are main bearings, some are bent rods, etc. No clear pattern has been established. It is not clear if the same cylinders are consistently the issue (some dialogue on cyl 5 was presented).
4. The failure causes differ - overheating, bearing clearance (?), etc. A proper analysis of the failed parts would need to be done to determine more details (i.e. material issue, brittle fracture, overheating due to oil starvation, oil starvation due to clearance issue, etc.).
5. The circumstances and condition of the cars leading up to the failure events are not documented (i.e. there could be a common cause attributed to geography, driving style, etc. that has nothing to do with design and more to do with exceeding design parameters).
6. It is not clear if the failed units have a common source of manufacture or not (this is often a key causal factor in statistical failure analysis over a large population). May be irrelevant, but we just do not have the data yet.

What am going to go about?
a. Continue to monitor this forum
b. Continue to NOT over-rev the engine
c. Continue to stay below 3000 RPM's when engine is below optimum temperature (i.e. drive a little more gently when the engine is cold).
d. Continue to enjoy the HELL out of this car!
Appreciate 0