View Single Post
      05-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
No, the Forged Individual Line of wheels will be made at the BBS forging plant in Japan. (Washibeam) Right along with the LM and LM-R. No BBS forged wheel is made in Germany. (Schiltach)

The German plant only manufactures their flow-formed CAST wheels like the CH, RK, RXII, and some higher-end European OEM fitments.

I spoke to an acquaintance of mine at BBS (several months ago) in regards this new wheel. He was surprised I that I knew this wheel existed.

I always know what they're up to...

The forged flow-formed rim, combined with the patented backmilling technology on the sides of the spokes (and the rear face of the wheel), helps achieve that ultra-low weight threshold.

Backmilling key areas, and running several FEA test simulations after this is done, can actually create stress relief for the center spokes while sacrificing very little tensile strength, yield strength, or toughness of the solution heat-treated aluminum alloy. It's truly a remarkable feat of engineering prowess.

An incredibly strong forged aluminum wheel, that is also extremely lightweight (at the same time) is the holy grail of wheel manufacturing.

These forged monoblock wheels are going to look fabulous on the E9x M3.

The problem will be getting them here in the United States...

The availability of this wheel is still not set in stone. There is a "spirited debate" going on now within the company, in an effort to get these wheels into the US marketplace.

But for now...these wheels are only going to be available to the Japanese and European markets for the time being. (sorry guys)

This is not at all unusual, as it seems to happen with any new BBS forged wheel out of Japan. It usually takes a while for their new forged wheel products to migrate here to the United States. (legitimately or through the back door)

Some BBS forged wheels never make it here, while other styles are restricted to only certain exterior colors. BBS is very picky about what styles/colors they will allow into the US market. It's been that way for the past 25 yrs...

Some clever U.S. wheel dealers have a knack for "bypassing" these restrictions for a price...but you will pay dearly for the privilege.

BTW, these wheels aren't going to be cheap, even if the restriction is lifted. (if the pricing rumors I'm getting are accurate)

So you better start saving your pennies now!
I guess I gotta start saving now. Hopefully they make the correct fitment for the M3.
Thanks for the info bros.
Appreciate 0