07-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #14
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
Why is that? He asked a valid question. At least his question is a bit more interesting than the extended warranties and rod bearing threads we have on this forum.

When I buy a car, I always make sure it wont give me problems when selling it. Yes, I am not putting the money on appreciating investment however, I am also not looking to dump money on something that will depreciate faster than what the market price goes for
I guess I just don't understand the situation fully, but from what it sounds like, the OP was going to look at a car (deciding if he wanted to buy it) and before he could get to it someone keyed it. He states insurance is covering the damage (presumably the current owner's insurance) and wants to know how much money he can knock off the purchase price because of the damage? If I got that right, that just doesn't sound right to me. It sounds as though OP is more concerned with "how much more can I talk this guy down to take advantage of him" than "well, the car has damage and will need to be repaired now, which diminishes the value. I should get the car for less since it's worth less".

OP: Being keyed, and subsequently repaired via insurance isn't going to diminish the value of the car. Go look at it, and if you like it, have the seller get it fixed, fork over his asking price and stop trying to low ball and get shit for as cheap as you possibly can. You either like the car or you don't, there is no need to try to get a good deal at someone else' expense or misfortune. Situations like this are the reason the value of these cars are tanking and any Tom, Dick or Harry can afford one nowadays.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0