View Single Post
      08-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
...However, the mistake American manufacturers seem to have made is that they seemed to have assumed all/most Americans are a part of that user group (and I guess that was true at some point in time), and therefore, there really isn't any need to develop other types of passenger cars. Or there simply is too much momentum that gets in the way of change in companies that size, and they resist change and simply keep on doing what they've been doing. That seems to be changing these days, but they have already lost so much marketshare and their finances are so out of order that it will be difficult to turn things around...
I would contend that American manufacturers lost share on build quality, manufacturing-engineering (a lost art for awhile in Detroit), and in the initial decline, price. With minor exceptions to the rule, Toyota didn't get where they are through driving excitement.

Bruce

PS - I am heartened, though, by cars like the Malibu, which show they're getting back on the right track. The next Focus offering (coming from Ford of Europe) will also be a very strong entry.

Bruce
Appreciate 0