09-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Im working on finishing med school pre reqs (have a BBA already) and will be applying for med schools next year.

Any advice or info anyone can share on the subject?
How important is shadowing and community service etc?
Anything i should be doing now other than slaying my classes and getting built up for the MCAT?
Use SDN as a resource. Don't get intimidated; there are a lot of overachievers on that board, but there is also plenty of good advice.

The most important elements are your grades and your MCAT. Both should be solid if not stellar.

Make an effort to expose yourself to the medical field. Shadowing, volunteering at a hospital, etc. are all decent ways to approach this. Even better, in my opinion, would be getting involved with a clinical trial or research project in a hospital or clinical setting. I had a pre-med help me with a clinical trial last year; she had a blast, and it looked great when she had a letter of recommendation from my boss, the chief of radiology at a major academic center.

Get all your stuff in to AMCAS EARLY - MCAT scores, transcript, letters of rec, etc. Med school applications are rolling. You will read more about this as the time comes.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0