10-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E60 520d - soon an X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
As I wrote last day in that post, some 2th problem)
it was reported a slightly and periodic hammering noise with the engine running at about 650 rpm-m, and with an oil temperature more than 90 degrees. Due to the normal propagation of the noise, it is possible to note it inside the cabin expecially in the right side.
It is also possible to note phisically this hammering noise, putting the hand over the oil filter cover.
All the cars produced from 01-06-2007 are affected.Untill a not defined period of production.The noise is generated from the forces of the internal cylinder combustion and the distribution system.
At the moment there still not exists a remedy.They still are studying a solution that could be retrofittable.The tests are under process.
IMPORTANT: this noise is only a defect affecting the passenger's CONFORT and in no ways has some conseguences on the engine life .
This happened to the car I drove at Nürburgring. When the car was good and warm we could hear a noticeable "knocking" sound. I thought it may had been because of the extended trashing these cars had been through; but obvoiusly it is a known phenomena. I hope they sort it out.