08-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
kasimmmmm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefort View Post
(2)

I can't seem to find '09s in the high 50's.. with ~30,000km they appear to be more in the mid-high 60's range on autotrader.ca..
M3 on Ebay

Even if you find an 09 M3 for $55K with only 30K kms, 55K USD (price taken from link above) x 1.2 (20% in taxes) = 66K CAD after importing. Pretty much the same thing!

There was a time when Canadian car prices were significantly higher than US and it was actually beneficial to import a car. In today's market the same does not hold true. I think you only see the mentioned $15K in savings if you buy it brand new or close to new from the US and you have to have hard cash.

I looked into importing a car from the US and dropped the idea once I found out how bad the resale is. I was looking for an 08 though... If I was buying brand new and had hard cash, i'd definately go to the US. Actually, i've never dump 65K hard cash in a depreciating asset, instead i'd rather invest it!

Side note: Alberta only has 5%... Ontario has more than double... 13%, that further washes away the savings.
Appreciate 0