View Single Post
      07-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
evosport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL Cab

Hi all, I am Brad Otoupalik. I am one of the founders of evosport. For those that do not know, we are a BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari tuner. You can see our work in about any eruo magazine, local racetrack or on the street. We are a engineering driven performance company, not a copy cat or bling bling house.

I thought it would be helpful if I answered some of these posts directly. A few board members pointed this thread out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...VO.PER.B92.P01

What do you think?

I think I would choose Evosport over Rogue Engineering any day.
Thanks! We were the first to do accessory pulleys on BMW's and were the first to successfully do crank pulleys on the V-motors. We have been making pulleys for BMW's since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
21hp for pulleys??? That's just about the most outrageous claim I've ever heard.
OK? You must not know who we are or anything about our company. We don't make claims, we post dyno numbers. Marketing claims are for those that cannot back it up. Want to put your money up on a wager?

For anyone in SoCal, you are welcome to come by and see our Dev car anytime.

In fact, Powerchip have been over here on the dyno the last 2 nights after some good road testing and we are up over 370 wheel HP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSanaii View Post
I got the email from them as well. +21HP for only $395 ???

I'm no expert on pulleys so someone should enlighten us.
Pulleys are like riding a multi-speed bike. Recall that when you shift into the higher gears, you have to pedal less to keep the same speed. The principal is the same. By under driving the accessories on the motor you are able to re-gain some of the lost efficiency. On the modern motors, you cannot replace the alternator, PS or H2O pulleys effectively, so we go to the crank pulley (but do not touch the dampener). The accessories are under-driven less then 10% and are well within the engineering tolerances.

In fact, if you drive at high RPM's more regularly, the under driven accessories will perform better as you will not cavitate the water pump especially.

Our pulleys and this principal have been used on Championship winning World Challenge and GrandAm cars as well as hundreds of racers worldwide. More then that, we have no sold over 1000 sets to street customers for ///M cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3 View Post
That is in response to the failed I6 pulleys that are referred to below. Our pulleys have no correlation to that article as they do not interfere with the damper in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
thanks for the article! very informative.

one thing though, I know that some of the aftermarket pulleys are dampened. I wonder if this one and the M5/M6 pulleys are too. I know that evosport made dampened pulleys for the C32 and E55 AMG.
Yes, the MBZ pulleys have our own unique damper, but we do not need to do this with the BMW set-up. On the BMW, the damper remains intact, and the pulley bolts to that piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
While I agree with what Dinan wrote most pully systems dont offer underdriven crank pulleys anymore. The last pully set that I saw like this was for the E36 and that was over 6 years ago and around the time this particular article was written. I remember it from five or six years ago when pulley modifications were really really popular. Anyhoo, as long as you dont underdrive the crank then this pulley will work fine. However, if your service department finds out and you develop an engine issue, dont expect them to fix it under warrenty.

With all this being said, there are plenty of BMW's running around that have had upgraded pulleys for 100's of thousands of miles. Even M3 with under driven cranks....

Jason
You are correct. I was in involved in a World Challenge team that broke 2 crank shafts in one weekend with that brand pulley. It was not engineered correctly. To further that the harmonics of the long inline 6 crank are difficult to control.

However, our pulleys do not suffer from these same issues.

Also, FYI, we have had numerous S54 engines replaced under warranty WITH pulleys one them (mine included). As many know, the S54 was a problematic motor and many dealers replaced them due to rod and rod bearing issues.

We also work with numerous BMW dealerships and offer the same warranties and support you would find with Dinan or any other high end manufacturer.

Quote:

To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Evosport Pulley Features:
- Bolt-on design
- Billet aluminum
- Black anodized
- Does NOT modify factory harmonics or dampening
- Includes replacement belts and bolts
- Easily reversible
That is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ne View Post
I am sure this would void your engine warranty. But then again I could be wrong
According to Federal Law (Moss-Magnusson) this is not the case. Any failure would have to be reasonably linked to the part. That is a pretty big task. Not to say that shady dealers might try it, but the law is on your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
I'm calling BS on this and for the M5 and M6. No other company, from the most obscure to the most established, claims these sort of power gains. I would sum up Evosport with this cliche: caveat emptor.
Again, please do your research. First of all, you really should watch what you say. Few tuners have been around as long in the US as we have or have had the results we have. You might want to check this out. And if you are going to make these claims, then be ready to back it up as we are. You think we are full of BS, lets see if you want to put that to the test? The car is here on the dyno now. You front the plane ticket and I will show you before and after dyno sheets and take you for a ride in the car. If I am wrong, I will pay for your trip. If you are wrong, you will post an apology and pay your own way? Up for it?

Second, MANY company's claim this - all the ones that have copied our products. I can give you a list if that helps!

Quote:
so this is fake? Although the claims seem to be far fetched. Posting a faulty dyno is pretty slimy.

We have never and will never post a fake dyno. That is about all I need to say about that. Our reputation is not worth taking that type of risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
I have been to Evosport. Very legit company. They know what they are doing.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Post from M5board.com, member bought and installed pulleys.

Evosport pulleys on a M5, with dyno. 26hp increase.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...light=evosport
There are many dyno's and posts on that forum with very happy customers and proven results on a dyno (not seat of the pants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
If you get 10 more hp from the pulley, its worth the money in my opinion.
I agree. Easy, bulletproof, cheap, proven... What more can I say. But again, don't trust me - every BMW performance house in the country is about to start selling these (I have the PO's from many of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
I had the Evosports pulleys on my M6. I was tracing a vibration issue, it turned out to be the flywheel but I removed the pulley.

There are lots of vids of people with pulleys and without.....

IMHO, I don't think it actually does anything. I don't miss them, my car is just as fast without them.

The big minus to the pulleys on the M6 was the oil temp is usually higher (I am sure the coolant was too but we don't have a coolant gauge)
I am sorry that you did not feel the gains. Did you ever dyno test them?

BTW, it would only be possible to increase the oil temps if you only drive at very low RPM's. The ONLY way this could happen would be that at low RPM's the water pump spins slower as well as the car making more hp. So the water cooling will increase a bit, which COULD increase slightly. However, this has NEVER been documented by over 1000 customers and we have never seen a problem with oil or water temps on a street or race car. I know sometimes that people mistake coincidence for actuality, but I would ask that you contact us and we can certainly help you solve that issue. We have professionals on staff to properly identify and fix these types of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
+1. Brad and Evosport are very upstanding. I would be shocked to find cooking the numbers going on here. Brad races and understands our cars.
Thanks Greg!

Of course they are not cooked - that just makes me laugh really! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
Why is everyone saying 21 hp increase?

I might be stupid, but 367hp-349hp=18hp ?
Right?
The dyno sheets are WHEEL and the 21 is CRANK. Sorry for any confusion.

Please feel free to ask any questions, here to help!

thanks
Brad