View Single Post
      03-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Things got pretty hot, and the paint on my front calipers cracked and fell off, etc, but I had no objective way of measuring anything. I will use heat sensitive paint next time to get an idea. I was not happy with the Carbotechs mainly because they wore out too fast--totally gone after 3 track days--and they smeared the adhesive between the pad material and the back plate to the extent that the wear sensor would no longer fit, had to be cable tied to the suspension, and the clip fell off in the process, and I had to buy an entire new sensor just because of that. Also, the pad backplate literally warped as I was pushing the piston back with a c-clamp, and I couldn't have applied that much torque with the tiny c-clamp lever arm. Just not impressed overall.

I bet some compounds are easier on your rotors than others, and that there is a scientific explanation, but I doubt that these manufacturers have actually done controlled experiements with each pad material to prove that (I haven't seen any numbers/proof), and to that effect, it is probably marketing stuff, but I don't really know. I just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Anyway, I am switching because I want better quality and durability.

And, I've been back to video games since October since there is still snow out there today!