View Single Post
      08-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #95
xxs65xx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 M3...SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakimano View Post
I think footie just likes to argue...and this is a losing battle.

When I started reading the comparisons (as a double Audi owner), I was disappointed to see the RS5 was slower (marginally) than the m3 to 60 and 1/4 mile etc...but what was most disheartening was how it gets whomped when you hit triple digit figures. It's a full 1.0 to 1.5 seconds behind by around 200km/h (120mph).

Anyway, the reality is I don't really care. I don't ever drive my car at 10/10ths...hardly ever anyway. In the real world, the RS5 will be a plenty quick car, even if it is marginally slower at 10/10ths. Further, Audi has clearly not made a concerted effort to win the 10/10ths race. They could have gone the easy route with forced induction and boosted the RS5 to a win, but when you do the math, Audi hasn't set its sights on a performance win in the $70-80,000 sport coupe class...that's not a very profitable pursuit. They've instead produced a fantastic GT that sounds incredible, looks even better, and will win sales from the well heeled folks who will appreciate the aesthetics. The owners (like domobrown) who crave every last millisecond of acceleration performance aren't the target market for Audi here, so I don't think they're missing your business.

Instead...they have decided to eat BMW's lunch in the $45-$55,000 section where both manufacturers sell 10s of thousands of units per year, not a few thousand. In that price category, the new S4 3.0T (supercharged) is trouncing the 335 variants with alarming ease. That topic has been discussed here ad-nauseum, and if you really think BMW is 'winning' everywhere, you really ought to check the sales figures. They paint a very different story.

All around, both car companies are fantastic, make great products, and will push each other for years. The winners will be buyers who get products that are made better by the great competition.
really? because I read a month ago that BMW had topped Audi sales...but it has been a month since I read it....do you have any proof?
Appreciate 0