View Single Post
      12-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #229
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
You realize the V8 is lighter than the 6 cylinder it replaced don't you? You realize neither of those v8's you mentioned has individual throttle bodies, right?
Wow. Lighter than the previous lump, and, and...EIGHT throttle bodies?

All while making less power and with more weight than the other two engines mentioned. Huh. Impressive!

Quote:
You don't care about hp per liter? Ok, so BMW should just stick in a 427 cubic inch V8 and call it a day? The hp per liter is what gives the motor its characterists, by design it has to rev higher.
Yes, you like it. That's why you bought it, and of course that's fine.

But also of course, as I've said before, it'd be an altogether better car with either of those two engines installed, or even an LS3, as I've also mentioned before. More power, much more torque, and same weight.

Faster.

Quote:
I don't think you get it, competitive results? BMW is competitive, actually best in class, with smaller engines. The M5 does not need 6.2 liters to beat the benz V8. It does need its redline though. This is also what makes it special. The only other motors that are anywhere near as special as the S65 or S85 would be the F430 V8 and the GT3's flat six. That is it, and BMW offers the best motors for the money of these manufactuers. Sounds to me like they are doing fine, some people just don't get it and never will.
Yup, over here, with hand raised. I'll install any of the three engines mentioned, and kick your ass around a race track while you enjoy spine-tingling sounds.

Quote:
Say what you will about forced induction, I don't think the M3 would give me as big of a smile if it wasn't screaming toward redline...
So keep what you've got when the time comes, or buy something else.

Sorry stick, I know we've gone around on this before, but just couldn't help myself.

Bruce
Appreciate 0