View Single Post
      05-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #336
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailHappyM3 View Post
Sounds like a fair deal (but not 20-30% cheaper, not even close) after adding all taxes which takes you somehere near mid 50s for the sedan. I'm not sure what options you have but that car in a coupe would easily be in the high 50s after all said and done with importing. I just saw a low mileage 2009 DCT coupe loaded imported from the States sell for 65 plus taxes up here. The guy figures he saved maybe 5K which is less than 10% but he knows those savings will be gone when resale comes around.

Did you have to pay the $2500 for the cluster change??
I didn't do the cluster change as it isn't needed. As for taxes I would have had to pay those here. If anybody buys a used car at a dealer they will pay 5% GST. 80% of M3's I saw for sale were from dealers so that tax is most likely going to be the same. In Saskatchewan we have 5% PST. It has to be paid on any vehicle that hasn't had it paid previously. So unless I bought an M3 in SK I sould have paid 5% PST on any vehicle I bought. I think most provinces work this way. With the small number of M3's for sale in Canada there is a good chance a buyer will have to buy out of province so will pay the PST anyway. That's why I didn't include the taxes as for most purchases they will be the same whether importing or not

I stand by my 20% savings. To import the car, including taxes, I paid 55-56K. As I said before M3 sedans in Canada are mostly 2008's with 40-50K Kms and are selling for 60K + taxes which is 66K for me. I didn't even include transportation on the Canadian car, but the M3's I looked at were all in Ontario, BC or Alberta so there would have been some transportation cost. So my calculations are accurate and the savings are 20-30%.

Prices are coming down in Canada, but they are also coming down in the USA. The prices may get closer together in the future, but I don't see it happening.
Appreciate 0