08-22-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
I think this goes to show the car is tuned optimally from the factory and many tunes out there give you "butt dyno" feeling by modulating throttle response and increasing smoothness of the pulls but in the end I really believe a tuned car is at best equally fast to stock and likely slower in most cases as this evidenced.
Not true... how can you possibly take one non-scientific comparison and make this statement. First, who knows if the tune was properly implemented on his car. Second, there is a TON of evidence that these tunes add measurable and real power. More power = faster, period. You can't ignore the wide body of non-subjective evidence and rely on one member's bad experience. You have already convinced yourself that tunes are not worthwhile, in your opinion, and you want to take every piece of evidence, good or bad, to prove your opinion but you are clearly ignoring the vast majority of evidence (dynos, the Evolve video) to the contrary.

People who know FAR more about this than you and I would NOT agree than the M3 is tuned "optimally" from the factory. It is a compromise tune because the vehicle has to meet a wide range of needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
No offense to any tuner but I would think the M engineers are leaps and bounds more educated and experienced than 99 percent of the independant tuners out there playing around on the computer. Trust in the M department-they know what they are doing.
Although this may be true, that does NOT mean the BMW engineers are programming the engines for maximum potential output/power. They are leaving large tolerances and making compromises for the broader market. Could they "tune" more power from factory? Yes. Could then maybe even "tune" more power than the independent shops? Maybe, yes. But just because they could does not mean they did... cause they didn't.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 08-22-2011 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0